||Since its founding in 1981, our firm’s mission has been to provide high quality legal representation to individuals in employment and civil rights cases, and to labor unions. We are the largest law firm in Washington whose primary practice area is representing individuals in employment disputes. Our attorneys are highly experienced in both labor and employment matters. Our firm is "AV" rated (meeting the highest legal and ethical standards). All of our partners have been named "Super Lawyers" by Washington Law & Politics.
We handle a wide range of workplace disputes for private and public employees including claims of race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, age, national origin, and religious discrimination; wrongful termination; whistleblowing; workplace privacy invasion; unpaid minimum wages and overtime, lost pension benefits, and breach of contract. We also represent clients in matters such as severance agreements, noncompete agreements, civil service appeals, constitutional violations, and FOIA/Public Disclosure Act requests. Our firm litigates both individual employment cases and class actions.
We offer a full range of services to our union clients, including contract negotiations, interest and grievance arbitrations, unfair labor practices, and defending duty of fair representation cases. Our union clients include Amalgamated Transit Union Locals 587, 1576 and 883, and Office & Professional Employees International Union Local No. 8. We also represent the United Employees Benefit Trust.
Because we have remained modest in size, our experienced attorneys are able to provide clients with dedicated, personal attention. But we are large enough not to be daunted by taking on the largest employers and institutions to meet our clients needs. Our goal is to provide our clients with zealous representation emphasizing practical, cost-effective solutions to their problems.
Some of our attorneys accomplishments include:
If you are an individual with an employment or other civil rights issue, including a potential class action, or a labor union in need of counsel, we invite you to contact one of our attorneys for a consultation. We are also happy to serve as local counsel for out-of-town attorneys.
- Negotiating a settlement valued at $910,000 for a Tacoma police officer sexually harassed by former Chief of Police David Brame.
- Obtaining a $250,000 judgement for a high-level DSHS administrator wrongfully terminated for whistleblowing.
- Achieving a $300,000 settlement in a Washington class action for unpaid meal and rest breaks.
- Obtaining a $235, 000 settlement for workers laid off without proper WARN act notice.
- Negotiating a $312,000 settlement for a female Washington State Trooper in a gender and disability case.
- Receiving a $220, 000 judgement for a county prosecutor wrongfully terminated for taking family medical leave.
- Overturning Initiative 695 on behalf of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 587.